Sign up
Log in


If you have additional questions, please contact us at

Are you different from Alpine Gold in Alpine, UT? 

Yes, we’re an independent franchise of Alpine Gold. The original Alpine Gold Exchange is located in Alpine, UT. It is there where all UPMA members’ metals are vaulted. 

Our operation is located in Ogden, UT. Our primary aim is to influence the local economy here in Ogden and the greater Weber and Davis County areas and to encourage both business owners and citizens to use sound money, namely the Goldback. Secondarily, we also have the liberty to influence the greater economy from like-minded folks via friend and family connections and through various social media platforms. With that being said, we offer the same services and benefits to all UPMA members that the Alpine, UT branch does. 

What is the relationship/difference between Alpine Gold Exchange, UPMA, Legal Tender Services, and Goldback Inc.

Alpine Gold Exchange is a custodian to UPMA. Alpine vaults UPMA members’ metal.

The UPMA (United Precious Metals Association), is a non-profit cooperative servicing its members' accounts to purchase, sell, and hold US-minted gold and silver dollars and Goldbacks.

Goldback Inc. is the parent company of Alpine Gold and the manufacturer of Goldbacks. The Goldback trademark and design are wholly owned by Goldback Inc. They sell to retailers such as Alpine Gold Exchange, JM Bullion, APMEX, and the like.

Legal Tender Services is an accounting firm that manages UPMA transactions.

Can anyone signup for a UPMA account? 

Yes, ANYONE (and it's free)! Click here to signup.

How do I fund my UPMA account?

You can fund your account one of two ways: self-serve or in-person. 

  • Self-serve: Using the “Deposit” feature in your account, you can fund your account via cashier’s check, personal check, money order, wire transfer, ACH, or card (a 3.5% fee applies to card transactions). Instructions for completing your transaction will be emailed to you.
  • In-person: Drop by our office with cash, a cashier’s check, a personal check, or money order and we will transfer metal into your account. Please note that transactions with checks are pending until the funds clear (usually 1-2 business days). Checks can be made payable to Alpine Gold. 
Is my metal insured? 

All metal stored in the vault in Alpine, UT is fully insured by Lloyd’s of London against loss, theft, or damage.

Are there exchange and withdrawal fees? 

An exchange or withdrawal of more than $10,000 USD equivalent within a 30-day rolling period will result in a 1% fee of the excess amount (the amount over $10,000) in addition to a market-based buy-sell spread rather than the 0% buy-sell spread for the excess amount. However, Gold/Silver Dollars exchanged for Goldbacks are always at the daily rate regardless of quantity.  

Are there vaulting fees?

Yes, vaulting fees are scaled based on a UPMA member’s account balance and are denominated in gold and silver cents on a monthly basis. NOTE: Fees are waived for net monthly deposits greater than $1,000 OR if the total holdings are valued above 1,000 Gold Dollars.

Estimated monthly fees
(in U.S. Paper Dollars assuming $2000/Gold oz. & $40/Silver oz. exchange rates)

What is meant by a 0% buy/sell spread? 

At Alpine Gold, UPMA members may redeem their gold and silver that is purchased through us, for cash without any sort of spread for up to $10,000 in any 30-day rolling period. However, members lose the benefit of the 0% buy-sell spread if physical possession of the metal is taken and brought back later for exchange. The exchange rate for Goldbacks would be the daily rate minus a 5% fee; the exchange rate for Gold and Silver dollars will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

What does leasing look like? 

UPMA members can lease their Gold Dollars and Goldbacks for specified annual returns that are paid monthly, denominated in Gold Cents and Goldbacks. All leases carry a 1-year term and may be terminated early if need be. The early termination fee is the same for both Goldbacks and Gold Dollars at 2%. However, Goldback leases may be terminated without penalty with a 60-day notice. An additional benefit to leasing metal is the vaulting fee for that metal is waived.  

Can I transfer my IRA or 401(k)? 

Yes. Alpine Gold has partnered with Accuplan to offer an alternative retirement savings plan. You can transfer all or part of your IRA or 401(k) to a retirement UPMA account by transferring custodianship from your current IRA or 401k custodian to Accuplan.

How do I set up an Accuplan account and initiate the transfer? 
  1. Create an Accuplan account here. Or, you can stop by our office or give us a call and we’ll be happy to walk you through the process.
  2. Create a new UPMA account by clicking here
  3. Email the username of the newly created UPMA account to We will identify the new UPMA account as a retirement account and limit its functionality to conform to Accuplan’s requirements. 
  4. Contact your existing retirement account custodian. Ask how to transfer your balance to Accuplan. Most Traditional IRA custodians are fine to use the receiving custodian’s form – click here to download. Normally you’ll be transferring a Traditional IRA to a Traditional IRA. This could be in cash or precious metals. If you want to transfer another type of account, call us to discuss. If you need to use your current Custodian’s form, the methods to send funds/metals to Accuplan are listed in the linked form above. No matter which form is used, it should be uploaded to Accuplan’s portal for them to send to the current custodian in order to keep track of the process.
  5. Prepare a Direction of Investment form. Once your Accuplan account is funded, you will need to prepare a Direction of Investment form (DOI) from within the Accuplan account portal to have your funds sent to Legal Tender Services, our associated Trust and Escrow firm. Contact us to help with this process as needed.
  6. Metal Purchase Preferences. Call (801) 452-3296 or email on how you would like your funds to be used to purchase precious metal currencies. This can be an absolute amount or a percentage for each type of currency.
  7. Decide if you would like to enter a lease. With Alpine Gold you can earn Gold on your Gold holdings within your IRA. See the “What does leasing look like?” FAQ for details. 
Does Accuplan have any fees? 

Yes. There is a one-time $50 start-up fee and an annual $195 maintenance fee. These fees are deducted from the holdings of the account. 

What businesses accept Goldbacks as payment?

Click the state links to view Goldback accepting merchants located in:



New Hampshire


Other Helpful Sites: